July 12, 2013

My Top 5 Heroes for Starting Running



Last night as I drove through Atlanta, I noticed a sign on the interstate that read, “Dial 511 for HERO help.”  I thought of this today as I prepared to go running again.  I am trying to get fit and healthy, which is requiring changes that take effort and determination.  And running today took courage!  I needed HERO help, but not to change a tire or help in an emergency.  I needed heroes for courage.

I have been told that running is all mental—it takes more mental exertion to succeed than physical strength.  I believe that!  Today I needed a hero to help me put the ‘I think I can’ into my head.  Here are my top 5 heroes for starting a running program.

1.  Gail Devers.  As a runner, she fought back from a cancer that nearly killed her.  While sick she could only crawl, so she had to work really hard to run fast again.  She eventually won gold in two Olympic games.  Anyone who can walk can run.  Read about Gail here: Gail Devers

2.  Dick Hoyt.  Another runner, he’s an old man by most standards (age 73) but still competes in Triathlons while pushing his disabled son!  Yes, he shows that old bodies can still perform well.  Read about Dick here:  Dick Hoyt

3.  Glenn Cunningham.  After suffering terrible burns over most of his body as a child, he taught himself how to walk, then run again.  As a runner, he went on to win silver in Olympic games.  If you don’t have any serious problems with your legs like Glenn did, you can run again.  Read about Glenn here: Glenn Cunningham

4.  Oksana Chusovitina.  As an aging gymnast, she continued to compete in her sport well beyond the age of retirement to help her son.  If she can do those difficult moves in her late thirties, one can certainly teach a body how to run again.  Read about Oksana here:  Oksana Chusovitina

5.  Don Magee.  As a middle aged man, he began slowly to do push-ups in support of his wife’s exercise regime.  Now he can do 4000 in a day at nearly 80 years old.  He shows us that a little bit every day adds up to a lot over time.  Read about Don here:  Don Magee 
 
I can train this body again to run because I know others have done harder things than this.  There are many more heroes we can look to, but these are my top 5 for today.  I ran 2 miles and walked 1.5 miles over hilly terrain today and I felt great.  I’ll get to be running all of it as I continue to train myself for health and fitness.

Photo courtesy of Microsoft.com

No comments:

Post a Comment